Be Aware of the Dangers of Cyberbullying and Know What to Do About It

Cyberbullying is no joke, many people are injured or harmed due to cyberbullying. Cyberbullying is equivalent to bullying in school.

A 2010 study by the Cyberbullying Research Center, an organization founded by two criminologists, defined cyberbullying as “willful and repeated harm” inflicted through phones and computers.  The study also said one in five middle-school students have been affected by online bullying. Cyberbullying is a quiet but malicious type of bullying.

In an interview with Gilda Ross, the Glenbard Student and Community Projects Coordinator at Glenbard District 87, she said, “Cyberbullying is a serious problem and big problem” and it takes full effort from all students to have a protected and cyber-safe community. She also stated that cyberbullying can be resolved by “all students [having a] balance in their lives and mak[ing] sure you have positive people around you” so you won’t have negative roadblocks.

Furthermore Ms. Ross said to have something “pleasurable in your everyday life [so you have] a life that does not involve being online” all the time.

Report cyberbullying if you see it taking place online.  Tell your dean or a teacher.  Always think before you post or text anything.  Your words can be impactful.