Knock-out Stress at West

With any aspect of school comes stress. Students worry about getting a good grade, keeping parent and teacher expectations high, and planning for the future. Students worry about their work and its quality, because it does in fact add up to decide their fate.

Students also face distress from home and their social life. Many of these worries can be from episodic stress which only lasts for a while. However, if student stress is taken to an extreme level, chronic stress, or allostasis — the way our body responds to stress — will be fatal.

Symptoms would include sleeping difficulties, anxiety, anger, food cravings, and crying, and they can result in major factors of a stressful life such as obesity, high blood pressure, heart attacks, and lack of memory. Effects like these will prevent students from performing to the best of their ability which should not be the case for bright students who clearly have something to show the world.

The best things students can do to tackle pressuring situations can be to approach counselors, build strong relationships by prioritizing important people, walking away from negative energy, and resting the mind by taking time to sort out tasks and take breaks.

In addition, here at West, colors should be promoted to inspire the mind. Using time management and organizing skills can help students move forward in a happier and more efficient way. Stress can be easily avoided using the correct methods and careful studies of one’s behaviors.

Mrs. Bass, school social worker, talked about stress here at Glenbard West with the following:

What would you tell students to prevent a situation from getting too stressful to manage?

They should use self-awareness skills to identify triggers of stress and feelings associated with being stressed. I would help them tap into their self-management and relationship skills through self-advocating, reaching out for help, talking with others to express feelings, and utilizing healthy stress management techniques. I would encourage time management skills with organizing and prioritizing to find balance.

What is the minimum teachers can do to aid in a student’s stress?

They can help students practice self-management and executive function skills. They should also empathize with students.

What is the minimum parents can do to aid in a student’s stress?

Depending on the intensity of the stress or anxiety, they should start looking for out of school supports.

Do you think it is important for students to pick classes towards their post-high school career? Should they take needless classes?

Diverse classes make students well-rounded. They allow students to explore and discover new interests. They also provide challenges and teach soft skills valuable for life after high school.