West Model UN Takes William and Mary

Mr. Kotrba, the club sponsor says, “Success and leadership in Social Studies classes is necessary to be considered for Model UN, and to thrive in Model UN.”

West Model UN Delegates shopping in the historically famous Jamestown.

Andrea Gieseman

In late November, Glenbard West’s Model United Nations club took a trip to the College of William and Mary in Virginia to participate in its 29th annual Model United Nations conference. 18 West students, all sophomores, juniors or seniors, flew across the country for four days to debate global issues with other high schoolers around the nation. West was assigned committees that each focus on a different world issue. Students will take on a role, usually a country or an important public figure, and then voice that opinion throughout the weekend. At William and Mary we had a wide variety of committees to represent, including: the World Health Organization, FIFA World Cup (Qatar 2022), United Nations Commission on Narcotic Drugs, the Fortune 500 and many more.

Model UN can be a little overwhelming for someone who’s never done it before. Words like parliamentary procedure, western business attire and resolutions are unfamiliar and frightening. Samantha Moody, a sophomore, discussed what it felt like coming to William and Mary as a novice, saying that “[It] was a little intimidating when our team first got together, but the older, more experienced kids on the team made me feel so much more confident and comfortable and helped to make MUN one of my favorite activities.”

When it comes to the actual conference, Maddie Ratkowski, a junior novice, explained, “I didn’t expect committee to be as fun as it was. Creating resolutions and passing notes to other countries was definitely really enjoyable.”

Bennett Sproat, the president of Model United Nations, mentions that “A good MUN delegate has a good grasp on social studies ranging anywhere from history to foreign relations. [They] need to be comfortable with public speaking, along with a social attitude that allows them to co-operate with others.”

Mr. Kotrba the club sponsor says, “Success and leadership in Social Studies classes is necessary to be considered for Model UN, and to thrive in Model UN.” In regards to preparation, Mr. Kotrba notes, “There is a lot of independent research required, in addition to weekly meetings. It can be a demanding time requirement, but it is necessary in order to be well-prepared and successful at competitions.”

If you have an interest in current events, debate, and history, come to one of the informational meetings the club hosts before the conferences. If you’re considering applying for a conference, Maddie Ratowski says, “Just go for it, and you won’t regret it. It honestly is so much fun and the people are great.”

Mr. Kotrba reminds, “There is an application process in September for our William & Mary (Virginia) and Berkeley (California) competitions. There is another application process in February for our Northwestern University competition.”

For even those who have already applied in the past, Sproat, the club president advises, “Don’t be discouraged if you are turned down your first time applying. Keep trying out, the more you apply the more likely you are to be accepted into MUN in the future.”