Tips for Finals Success

When studying for semester finals, it’s always good to have a plan.

With a little over a week left until winter break, teachers are beginning to hand out review packets and study guides for the first semester finals that will take place January 11-13. For most students, the sheer amount of terms on a guide, or the amount of pages in a review packet can be very overwhelming and stressful.

There are generally two reactions to studying for the approaching finals: the student who will spend their entire winter break studying and the student who will wait until the night before finals before they begin to study. Studying for finals definitely should not take over your winter break, and take away from spending time for your family, but it also should not wait until midnight the night before either because being tired the day of an exam can be just as harmful as not studying. However, there is absolutely a healthy balance between the two that can help students to be successful on their exams.

First, it is important to make sure that you have a strategy for tackling your exams. For some students this can mean setting aside some time each day to study and for some this can mean having study group with friends, but whatever it is, planning it out in advance will be the best way to ensure success. Next, it is always a good idea to plan a time to talk with teachers of any classes that you are confused in, or want some extra help in before the test. Additionally, focus more time on studying for classes that are more challenging or classes in which your grade is “borderline.”

Finally, make sure to get a good night’s sleep the night before finals and eat a good breakfast the morning of the test. Good luck and happy studying!!