Opt to Adopt

Tricia McCormack and Ashleigh Wince

Every year, 2.7 million adoptable dogs and cats are put down–or euthanized–in the United States due to the fact that there are too many animals in shelters and too many people who do not consider adoption. While purchasing dogs from breeders and pet shelters can be beneficial, there are many saddening factors.

For example, some dogs from pet stores come from places called puppy mills where dogs are commercially bred and the profits of these mills take priority over the well-being of the animals. 

Adopting from shelters not only gives a home to a dog in need and can save its life but it allows room for more homeless dogs to be put in the care of shelters. By encouraging more people to adopt will also help ease the overcrowding that occurs at some shelters.

Many people have reflected on how the presence of dogs have improved their lives. Jessica Nork and Grace Metcalf, freshmen at Glenbard West, both said that their adopted dogs loved to play, cuddle, and spend time with all kinds of people. Jessie specifically mentioned that her dog made coming home from school every day a party.  Jessica and Grace both adopted dogs from no-kill shelters.

Adopting from a shelter not only benefits the dog but can also benefit the adopter. Adopting from a shelter, regardless of kill policy, can cost a significantly lower amount of money than purchasing a purebred dog. Some shelter pets, depending on age, are house-trained already so  putting in those extra hours and dollars on training is not an issue.

Dogs, in general, are great companions because they are so loyal, but adopted dogs have been proven to benefit their owners emotionally, psychologically, and physically. Walking the dog, or dogs, every day provides another form of exercise and can significantly decrease stress. So please, opt to adopt!

• Opt to Adopt

Features

District 87 Finalizes Process of Students Completing Finals Before Break

• Opt to Adopt

News

November: The Month of Gratitude

• Opt to Adopt

News

Coffee with STEM Inspires High School Students to Pursue STEM Careers

• Opt to Adopt

Features

Mr. Biester: ‘Chuck It Over by the Lake’

• Opt to Adopt

Features

‘Footloose’ the Musical Prepares for Opening Night During Tech Week

• Opt to Adopt

Entertainment

Blade Runner 2049: An All Time Great

• Opt to Adopt

Features

West Welcomes New Staff Members

• Opt to Adopt

Features

Visit To Washington State Inspires Senior MaryBeth Feeley to Pursue Materials Engineering

• Opt to Adopt

News

Boeing May Be the Loser in Newest Merger

• Opt to Adopt

Features

18 Things Every High Schooler Should Hear

Opt to Adopt