Frankie Says Relax

High school is tough. In fact, the majority of my freshman and sophomore year was a stress-filled blur. On the bright side, I can tell you quite a bit about multiple French monarchs (thanks Mr. Fornaciari).

This article isn’t about my stress-filled high school experience though, it’s about how I conquered it, and how you can conquer it too.

Before I give some tips, let me ask the question: “What is stress?” Stress, according  to medicinenet.com, is defined as “a physical, mental, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental tension.” However, if stress is at a manageable amount, it can motivate you. Whenever I’m a little stressed, I find myself working that much harder, especially if I’m studying.

Now that you know what stress is, here are some techniques you can use to deal:

1)Never underestimate the power of yoga. Before you say you aren’t flexible, there are countless moves that you don’t even have to be able to touch your toes for, such as child’s pose, warrior 1, and warrior 2 are just three examples.

2)If yoga isn’t your thing, just try some breathing exercises. Count to four as you inhale, and then count to four again as you exhale.

3)Exercise is always an option, do some jumping jacks or jog in place for a little bit.

4)Try keeping a journal, it can help to write down your feelings.

5)If none of these work, talk to someone: a friend, a teacher, or even a parent. Simply put, someone you feel comfortable confiding in.

I hope these techniques help you conquer the common foe that is stress. Good luck, and remember to breathe.