Art and Music: Perfect Ways to Express Creativity

Desire, joy, excitement, anger, despair – emotions. Creative ideas can be driven by these feelings and can turn into beautiful works of art. Artists find these ideas in different ways and each can be displayed in their art and craft. Creative processes are similar but are driven by emotion.

The creative process consists of six steps that are used by almost every artist. These steps include inspiration, clarification, distillation, perspiration, evaluation, and incubation. Artists use these steps, however not all artists use them in the same way or with the same creativity behind them. The creative process can be found in many different forms of learning and expression. A main way creative processes are used is by artists, not only painters and sculptors but musicians, actors and actresses, and any unique ways of expressing thoughts and emotion.

By diving into a specific craft, we can look at how the creative processes are different between the different types of artist, first being the musicians. Artists in band and orchestra are taught how to play instruments and over time are expected to learn and master their instrument. Ensembles are mostly lead by a conductor who teaches the group how to play a specific piece. While this can seem like a block to creativity, the musicians are expected to play as one but be individualistic in their own style of play.

Symphonic band member Alec Torres has been playing percussion instruments since middle school and discovers ways to find creativity in his music. “Music may seem like notes on a piece of paper, but it’s all about how you play those notes while adding emotion,” says Torres. “Without this, all music would be boring.” 

While this style of creativity is evident in band, it is similar in orchestra. Orchestra member Alex Predki is a powerful player of the cello. Predki states, “We follow the directions of the conductor but [Mr. Ortega] pushes us to be creative with making music sound like music.”

A common theme between band and orchestra is the conductor’s guidance. Without the conductor, the ensembles would be lost and performances would be a disaster. The conductor, while teaching, guides the artists to be creative in their own ways. Band director Jonathan Walsh has been conducting the Glenbard West band for a decade now and is very experienced with musicians’ artistic ways of performing. “I tell my students, play what is on the paper as well as play what seems to be right to you,” Walsh states. “Whenever they perform, it is completely different from practice because they have so much more emotion and excitement than before.” This provides the musicians with a creative outlet to express their ideas and unique emotions which is evident in their musical performances.    

Art, more specifically painting and ceramics, has a completely different way of developing creative ideas. These types of art are mostly free will. Art student Stan Zurawski is known around school for having some out-of-the-box creative styles and thinking. Zurawski says, “Art is what you make of it, however you are feeling a certain day can be displayed on your art.”

Emotion is a big drive for artists, as it is the main way to express their ideas. Art student Lucy Brizzolara has ideas that are constantly changing. “My art is usually swayed by things happening in my everyday life,” Brizzolara says. “It’s really hard to make the same piece twice.”

Emotion and current events are big drivers in how artists depict their feelings. These two creative processes are similar as they both have almost no boundaries of uniqueness and creativity. The only restrictions that are made are the ability not to think of ideas fast enough and being as creative as one would like. This is not necessary but is a factor that influences all types of art.

Another way that creativity is found in art is through different art presentations and shows. Senior art student Emma Funk enjoys presenting her works at the shows at Glenbard West. “I am able to tell a story through art and when people get to see it, it is really awesome,” Funk states. This creative drive behind art is the ability to tell a story. Artists’ stories can range from anything that they believe in or have a strong opinion on. Overall, art has a wide variety of creative ways in order to express feelings, ideas, and beliefs.

The arts are a perfect way to express creativity. It is evident that varying types of artists have creative ideas and processes that differ from others. Creative processes are forever changing and will continue to be an important tool in the art community.