Technology Needs To Be Embraced In The Classroom Now, And Here’s Why

Technology is something that is relatively new to education and has taken off in helping teachers in school districts around the world. Whether it be signing a homework sheet to be turned in online, having interactive practice quizzes to help students grasp topics that they didn’t understand before, or providing kids with videos assigned to them that explain subjects that they may need help on, the implementation of technology within schools is exponentially growing before our eyes. Technology in the classroom promotes engaged listeners, collaboration with peers, and preparation for the real world as technology is only growing and is front and center in the real world today. Due to apps such as Schoology, which provides flexibility to education and the ability to collaborate easily with other students and teachers wherever they are, technology is beneficial to students and should be implemented in schools throughout the country.

The app Schoology is available on products created by Apple, and is mostly used on iPads in schools. This app both helps in eliminating the use of paper in education and opens up opportunities for students and teachers to communicate using public and private message boards, instant messaging, and many other ways. Schoology is the epicenter for this revolution in educational technology, and it is a classroom all by itself. Here, teachers can create folders for different units of the year, posting PDF materials of homework assignments, class notes, reviews, and links to other helpful resources such as videos, “Kahoot” reviews (Kahoot is a live multiple choice game helping students review material), and Quizlet flashcards.

A study at Capella University noted that technology makes reviewing much easier for everyone as teachers can specialize notes to help some students. “For example, technology can provide accommodations for struggling or disabled students, and virtual lesson plans provide individualized instruction for all.” Apps like Schoology also offer a place where all students submit their homework to their teachers. Finally, they are a good way for students to get involved in social events and clubs that are offered at school. Message boards aid teachers as they can post information about sporting events, club meetings, and extra credit opportunities for their students.

Technology is crucial to those who are very busy when not in school. Speaking personally as an athlete, the portability of my iPad combined with the accessibility of wifi connection on the road (portable hotspots) has saved me a great amount of time and stress when traveling to tennis tournaments across the Midwest. A study done by Jeana Lee Tankh of HuffPost on what incorporating technology into schools does noted the importance of wifi: “Internet access in a classroom (provided it’s a safe and monitored searching experience) gives kids the opportunity to expand beyond the boundaries of what they’d find in a textbook.”

The innovation of apps such as Google Drive make it much easier for students to collaborate with their peers and teachers on the go. A situation might be when a student is very busy during their athletics season and have to finish a big project by the end of the week. Normally, students would have to meet at the library to finish big projects, but with technology, students can work on their projects from home, getting critiqued by their teachers and saving them a possible long trip to the public library or a classmates’ house. Overall, technology makes for work being turned in at a much more timely fashion. As shown in stats provided by the US Department of Education, most of the country supports this revolution, as “48 states and the District of Columbia currently support online learning opportunities that range from supplementing classroom instruction on an occasional basis to enrolling students in full-time programs.”

Technology offers exciting possibilities when it comes to what students can choose to learn about in the classroom. The internet brings multiple opportunities to help students learn about anything they’d like through trusted sources and professional research on topics. Tankh’s research elaborates on the opportunities given by the internet. “We don’t all have to study the same thing anymore,” she says. “One kid can be interested in butterflies and take a journey down that path, while another can be learning about rockets, and both are learning the practical skills of physics.” Though some may say that technology is distracting and derails focus from teachers, the internet actually provides insurance for that as well. Teachers have control of everything that goes on any students tablet on their own tablet, and can disable apps and lock student’s abilities to do certain things, eliminating distractions.

Ever since the internet was introduced to this planet, it has exponentially grown and there seems to be no limit as to how big it may get one day. Computers have become the epicenter of many people’s lives, and integrating it into schools is beneficial for everyone in the equation from student, to staff, and even some parents. Maintaining and expanding technology education will help the ways teachers guide their classes and help students learn in a variety of new ways. More schools should embrace technology in order to have a greater effect on the new generation.