A New Taylor Swift: Student Opinions’ on ‘Reputation’

On August 25, 2017, pop singer and recording artist Taylor Swift published her first single, “Look What you Made Me Do” and made the announcement of her new album, Reputation, to be released later in the year, after almost 3 years of no albums or major titles being created.

Taylor shocked many, with mixed reviews and feelings of good and bad. Some Glenbard West students themselves were asked, “What do you think of Taylor Swift now?”

Junior Katie Hohe, claims, “I think it’s good, but not her best. I think that her peak was definitely the 1989 album, but I’m excited to see as she reinvents herself.”

Luisa Metz, freshman, described Reputation as “interesting.” She states that “I don’t think the music is to my enjoyment. However, I understand the point Swift wants media to understand, yet I don’t agree with the way she is portraying her new self.”

Both Katie and Luisa agreed that Reputation was not T. Swift’s “Greatest Hit.” “This is not her best,” exclaims Katie, “her best album is either Red or 1989.”

Luisa went on a similar spiel as Katie: “I do not think Reputation has been Swift’s best album; 1989 was my personal favorite. Reputation gives the impression that Swift is going through an angsty phase.” In summary, Katie gave Reputation a 7.5 out of 10, while Luisa awarded Swift’s new piece a 4 out of 10.

Needless to say, Swift is changing her persona, sound, and whole look. Are you a fan? You can pre-order Taylor Swift’s new release Reputation, and get the track on its release date, November 10th of this year, wherever you buy music. Not convinced? Try listening to her two latest singles “Look What You Made Me Do” or “…Ready For It?” to see if this new Taylor is a yay or a nay.