The Glen Bard

The student news site of Glenbard West High School

The Glen Bard

The Glen Bard

Swirls of Goodness: Cinnamon Swirl Cake Recipe

Photo taken by Maryam Mohammad.
Photo taken by Maryam Mohammad.

This Cinnamon Swirl Cake recipe is a family favorite. I love to bake it as a snack whenever all my family is over and we are up late playing games and relaxing. The sweet cinnamon flavor brings a reminiscent feeling to me, reminding me of all the fun me and my family have together.   

This decadent and easy recipe classically combines a sweet vanilla flavor with the warmth of cinnamon swirls all put together in a moist Bundt cake. It’s great when you want to whip up a quick fall dessert that can also be eaten as a snack or paired up with a cold glass of milk for breakfast. It will typically take 20 minutes to prepare and 40 minutes to bake. 

Ingredients: 

For the cake

• 2 cups flour
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup oil 
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1.5 cup sugar

For the cinnamon swirl

• 2 tbsp butter 
  • 2 tsp cinnamon 
  • 1 tsp sugar

Recipe: 

1. Preheat the oven to 350.
  2. In a large mixing bowl beat eggs until stiff peaks form.
  3. Add milk and oil, then beat for 2 more minutes.
  4. Add vanilla extract, sugar and baking powder, then beat for 2 additional minutes.
  5. Add flour and, again, beat for the last 2 minutes.
  6. In a separate bowl combine melted butter with the cinnamon and sugar to create a cinnamon mixture. 
  7. Pour half of the cake batter into a greased Bundt pan.
  8. Drizzle cinnamon mixture over the batter, making sure that there is a bit of cinnamon all around, then swirl in circular motions drawing the cinnamon, away from the original drizzle with a toothpick. 
  9. Add in the rest of the cake batter and bake for 40 minutes, then stick a toothpick in the center of the cake, if the toothpick comes out clean then the cake is done, if there are still remnants on the toothpick, bake until a toothpick comes out clean.
  10. Invert and serve bundt cake after 30 minutes of cooling.