Check Out All the Back to School Activities for This Fall

Freshmen get ready for the start of school at a pep rally

Freshmen get ready for the start of school at a pep rally.

The summer season is over and it is time to hang up our swimsuits and put away the flip-flops. Before we know it, fall will be upon us. To some, this (always expected but never accepted) change is heartbreaking. But instead, we should all look forward to the first few months of school because they are filled to the brim with electrifying events.

Student Council has been working hard with GBW staff to ensure our back-to-school activities are fun and exciting. I encourage everyone to walk into school this year with open arms! Not only is our school jaw-droppingly beautiful and full of staff who would go to no end in order to meet and exceed our students’ needs, but the events coming up surely are not ones you will want to miss. Here is what Glenbard West has in store for its students in the fall of 2017.

Attention seniors! The Senior March is on August 15th at 9 p.m. Meet outside the Glen Ellyn Public Library and get ready to parade through our town! Reminder: this is a school event, meaning teachers and police will be present. Let’s represent West with pride as we kick start our final year.

August 16th is the first day of school. Come to the castle at 7:35 a.m. just like always, but do take notice of the change in available entrances. The tower entrance is now for staff only. Student entrances include the main doors off of Circle Drive and the bus entrance next to the cafeteria.

On the first Friday of the school year is the Circle Drive Dance. Be there on August 18th at 7:00 p.m. If you have purchased a West Nation sticker pass, this serves as your ticket in. If you do not have a West Nation pass, you will be able to buy tickets for $10 during the first week of school. The location of selling will be determined and announced once we return to class. By the way, if you like The Glen Bard Newspaper page on Facebook, you will be entered in a raffle to win two free tickets to the dance! (Full disclosure here!)

On August 25th, the second Friday of the school year, there is a school-wide pep rally in Biester Gym at 2:00 p.m. The band and cheerleading team will perform, and Mr. Wiersum will surely get our school-spirit juices flowing. Also, the super fans are to be announced! I can’t think of a better way to remind ourselves of the amazing community we are a part of.

Glenbard West is officially managing a Junior-Senior Powder Puff Game on September 28th. Be there from 7-9 at Memorial. Gather your girls for a Hitters-style competition. Team sign up and more information will be announced soon. In the meantime, gather your war paint!

October 7th is the day of Homecoming, and no one does it quite like Glenbard West. More information will be published in the near future, but for now, plan on a pep rally at 6:00 p.m. on October 6th. Immediately after, walk to the school bonfire down by Duchon field. On the 7th, GBW Boosters will provide an 8:00 a.m. pancake breakfast inside the cafeteria to welcome the day. The parade will take off at 10:00 a.m., and the home Varsity Football game against Hinsdale Central kicks off at 1:30 pm. The dance itself begins at 8:00 p.m., and the top-secret theme will be announced shortly…

Please come show your enthusiasm for our amazing school at any or all of these events! Make the most of your time at Glenbard West by grabbing some friends and coming out to enjoy the fun activities we have lined up to kick off our school year. Welcome back to the Castle on the Hill!