West Welcomes Philip Wicyk

Photo courtesy of Glenbard West Twitter.

Philip Wicyk is a new teacher here at West, teaching AP Computer Science A, Computer Discoveries 1, and Consumer Management. He really enjoys his AP Computer Science class because he finds its Java-specific nature interesting and thinks it is exciting to see his students grasp that subject. In addition to teaching at Glenbard West, he also is sponsoring a new programming club here while coaching the Glenbard South’s boys’ soccer team. In the spring, however,  he will be coaching West’s girls’ soccer team. Prior to working in Glen Ellyn, Mr. Wicyk also worked for 8 years at Romeoville High School as a “jack of all trades.” He was the yearbook adviser, accounting teacher, graphic design teacher, computer science teacher, web page design teacher, and entrepreneur design teacher. He also coached the girls’ soccer team at Romeoville, as the head coach for seven years, and the boys’ soccer team, as the assistant coach for eight years. Mr. Wicyk majored in accounting for his undergraduate degree at the University of St. Francis and got his master’s degree at the University of Benedictine. Although he originally wanted to be an accountant, he turned pages and wanted to become a teacher because of his college professors who had a great impact on him: “outside of an education figure, they were there for any type of help.”